HEAD OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
David Energy is creating a new kind of energy company. Traditional Retail Electricity Providers are outdated, opaque, and painful for customers to engage with. We are using software driven solutions to create an entirely new way of doing business in this space and build a category defining company. Our mission is to give energy customers greater transparency and control while creating a cheaper, cleaner, more reliable electricity grid.
Mycor is a holistic, technology agnostic Energy Operating System that coordinates users’ onsite energy assets such as battery storage, HVAC (like Nest), cogeneration, and solar with energy markets in real-time. As a retail electricity provider, we use the information provided by Mycor to intimately understand and control user demand, which helps us intelligently procure their supply in wholesale energy markets.
Mycor also helps users participate in ancillary markets such as Demand Response at the local and wholesale level.
Our success depends on the ability of Mycor to properly dispatch and manage users’ assets in energy markets, optimizing assets’ value stacks in real-time to provide the customer with the most value possible. We are looking for an experienced software engineer who can spearhead the development of our platform and machine learning algorithms, as well as lay the foundation for building a world-class software organization through establishing best practices and hiring a team as the company grows.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, hands on leader with a desire to stay technical and code early on before focusing on scaling the organization. We want someone with an innate curiosity who would enjoy getting up to speed on energy quickly in order to approach this sector in a new way.
As Head of Software, you will be creating an energy management platform that is a first of its kind. The role reports to the CTO and will be located at our HQ in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
• Own all engineering efforts across including all disciplines and platforms.
• Recruit, mentor, inspire and develop engineering teams in New York. Set goals and manage the performance of the overall engineering team.
• Own engineering process to maximize velocity and code quality. Define the engineering organization, best practices, estimation, manage technical risk and debt, and own project management for the team.
• Participate in the design and review of all data science initiatives including machine learning, natural language processing and the productization of recommendation and scoring algorithms into production systems.
• Work cross-functionally with product and business teams to get products developed and shipped. Collaborate with product to decompose requirements into technical tasks.
• Build models and programs to reduce energy use in buildings through analysis of data from building management system and other similar systems.
• Build models to predict renewable generation and buildings energy demand and write algorithms to properly dispatch assets such as batteries based on energy market signals and user energy demand.
• Work with company standards naming schemas to unify data from building systems, sensors, APIs, and other sources.
• Design and build a database solution for analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) in the energy sector.
• Evaluate and implement efficiency improvements. Build cost-of-service models to understand the financial cost of serving our customers, identify ways to drive efficiencies from our stack.
• Passion for designing and delivering mission critical code and products
• Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule and evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines or to schedule events
• 7+ years experience as a Software Engineer
• 5+ years leading a team of Software Engineers
• Basic familiarity with ML and Python
• Familiar with or able to learn quickly about building systems and IoT sensors, their data, and analysis of it. (HVAC, occupancy, temperature, energy meters, etc.)
• Strong Communication and Interpersonal skills
• BS in Computer Science
• MS/PhD in Computer Science
• Industry experience applying ML algorithms
• Talent development. Strong network in the NYC tech scene and use your relationships to recruit great talent across North America
• Accountability-minded. Can create a culture of healthy accountability in the team. Can balance code quality and speed to market. Been through a startup before
• Familiarity with or passion for energy sector and market